Monday, October 27, 2008

Faith of a Child


We had a very busy weekend planned. After attending a "literacy" program (more like a preschool activity) at the local library for Megan, the afternoon and evening included a neighborhood Halloween Party down the street, and Zoo Boo... all provided that the weather cooperated. The last few days had been cold with biting winds and rain- and lots of it. We had to cancel Zoo Boo on Friday night because of the weather, and we were afraid the neighborhood party would be a bust and there would be no Zoo Boo this year.

I was explaining to the girls what our tentative agenda for the rest of the day was, and Zoë piped up and said, "I really hope it doesn't rain!"

I don't know how it came about, but the suggestion was made to ask Heavenly Father in prayer if he could bless us so we could attend these activities.

"Can we pray right now, Mom?" Zoë asked me from the back of our mini-van as I was turning onto our street.

Uhhh, "Sure, why don't you say it?"

Zoë addressed her Father in Heaven, and then said, "Please don't let it rain too much" and asked that we could still have fun at the Halloween Party and at Zoo Boo.

OK, I know I might've been setting myself up for failure... what would I tell the girls if it rained and we had to cancel these events? Would I shake their fragile testimonies and their tentative steps into the power of prayer? Yet, these thoughts didn't occur to me. I did chuckle and thought "oops, I hope Zoë's request for 'not too much' rain doesn't backfire!"

Thirty minutes after we arrived at the Halloween Party, the wind died. About twenty minutes later the sun came out. There was no rain. It was still very cold.

When we got to Zoo Boo later that evening, the wind had mostly died down and the temperature was actually rising!


Walking to Zoo Boo. And, no, Miranda didn't last long in the stroller.
Her costume was apropos- a little Devil.


While waiting in line for candy
(there was about an hour wait just to get started),
we entertained the girls by challenging them to
run up to the ring of Ghosts and shout "BOO!" at them.
They ran, shouted, "BOO" giggled and ran again.
Yes, Megan tripped on her skirt.


Neither girl wanted to be just a Fairy Princess, so they decided that Zoë was the "Water Fairy Queen" and Megan was the "Star Fairy Queen".

My "Star Fairy Queen" minus her wings and hair.
She enjoyed all the lights (especially carrying her own lantern in her treat bag).



I am so glad that Zoë has such faith. I'm glad that she's learning how and when to talk to Heavenly Father, and I was touched by the simplicity and sweetness (with a dose of realism!) in her prayer. It is so true that we learn much from our children... as much as we teach them, or even more.

4 comments:

Stacey Irwin said...

I'm glad you SURVIVED Zoo boo! It was adorable to listen to Zoe tell me her story of answered prayers!!!

Katie said...

I love that story and the girls are growing soooo fast! I have to say that I am not sad about the weather here. Although we are having a cold front. it is 72 today. we even broke out the jackets for the "fall" effect. Glad zoo boo was a blast.

Sarah Bailey said...

Good ol' faith of a child. Builds MY faith!

Anonymous said...

special "teaching" moments.

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster