Thursday, March 4, 2010

Budget

So, we've had lots of talk amongst friends about setting up a budget. I am curious to know how much you (or your family) spend a week on groceries. So, in my sidebar, I've set up a poll. Please indicate, PER PERSON how much you spend a week on groceries. Groceries is defined as anything you purchase at a grocery store. That may include diapers and cleaning supplies (which aren't edible, but one can consume).

For example: a family with husband, wife, two girls and a baby (5 in house) spend $100/week on groceries. That means the average per person a week would be $20 (100/5=20).

Although I know there are differences in prices based on living location, I still want to know how much people in general spend on food. Maybe another time I'll ask how much people spend on dining out (restaurants, fast food, drinks, etc.)

Oh! I also want to know where you go grocery shopping. I wish I could correlate the two answers, but that might be for another time (or maybe for another friend who is a genius at math and statistics).

Cast your vote!

7 comments:

Jillian said...

Aack! Nadine! I can't vote on the where do you shop, because I shop all over the place! It depends on who has the largest loss leaders that week and what I need to stock up on. Maybe I'll write a grocery post, just for fun.

Shanda said...

Hey Nadine,

If you're trying to set up a budget I can tell you what we are doing. Dan set up a spreadsheet & I record every receipt on it. We're trying to figure out what we spend per month as well. But I'm including all things like, dish washing soap, laundry soap, cleaning supplies, etc. so its not just food. We also include gas for our cars on that as well. Last month was high for us because we bought things to make a bed for the girls, we bought mattresses and since we're in a new place a lot of "Start up" things--laundry detergent, cleaning supplies etc. But so far it is making me very conscious of everything we buy and it makes me a lot more selective.

Also, what we are doing is making a two week menu/calendar so I only go shopping every two weeks. We run out of milk every two weeks so that is why we set it up like that. So far, I think it is working alright! Good luck!

Shanda said...

And whats the deal with not having Costco on your where do you shop!? ;)

Irish Cream said...

Oops. I forgot that some lucky people actual CAN shop at Costco. Sadly enough, they are not even considering it!

I'll have to do a new post and allow people to select more than one store, but I wanted to see where you most frequently and commonly shop. Costco doesn't carry EVERYTHING you get (right?)

Irish Cream said...

Jillian- I'd LOVE for you to write a grocery post!

Irish Cream said...

"Sadly enough, they are not even considering it!"

This is in reference to Costco building a store in South Bend. The closest is in Fort Wayne.

Shanda said...

No, Sadly Costco does not carry everything. If our family was larger I might do more of our shopping there. We just don't go through all of our produce quickly enough. And I don't know what the deal is with the Costco in Vegas but they only sell powdered sugar in 50 lb bag!! There is now way I'm buying a bag that big!

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster